May 20, 2013

Still Life





Paul Cézanne (1839–1906) studied apples, flowerpots, and rumpled tablecloths until he understood them as their basic shapes: spheres, cylinders, and cones. He made the objects look more real, more three-dimensional, by gradually shifting from one color to another.  



5th graders worked with Cezanne-like focus, 
examining Line and Shape in observational drawings.

















Roman wall painting in Pompeii (around 70 AD)





Still life paintings were found on the interior of ancient Egyptian tombs. It was believed that food objects and other items depicted there would, in the afterlife, become real and available for use by the deceased. 



3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/21/2013

    OMG!This make me miss art class at Purchase school even more!
    I miss you Ms. Palefsky!
    BTW: this is Caitlin, I made my blog on a website called My big Campus. I get a lot of comments and my new art teacher is supporting me too!
    YOU ARE THE BEST ART TEACHER EVER! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin, your comment will leave me smiling for days. I'm thrilled to hear you're growing your talent, and becoming a blogging diva! You are so talented... keep practicing, keep making art, and keep in touch!
      Always,
      Ms. Palefsky

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5/22/2013

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete